Wasteland 3 is now available on PC via Steam and even though the release was smooth, there are still issues that give players a hard time. We just tried to collect some of the most annoying issues in Wasteland 3 like crashes, error messages, and performance issues. If you’re having trouble running the game, take a look at the fixes below.
crash on startup
The common fix for crashes in all types of games is to first check if your OS is up to date. If not, be sure to download and install them before anything else. Next, check your GPU drivers and whether they are updated as well. If they still don’t work try whitelisting Wasteland 3 from your firewall and anti-virus as it helps with most of the security related crashes.
We should note at this point that Windows 7 is not supported, so if your system is running that version of Windows, you will have problems throughout the game. Last but not least, make sure you have VCredist 2019 installed. If you don’t, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Steamworks Shared\_CommonRedist\vcredist\2019 and run the file vc_redist.x64.exe. Remember to reboot your computer after the installation is complete.
They are most likely tied to your GPU settings, so you can try disabling Gsync or Freesync if any of them are enabled. Next, you’ll want to go into your game’s settings and check if any applicable graphics options are straining your GPU. You can try lowering all the graphics settings and pumping them up one by one until you figure out what the problem is. If you’re 100% sure this isn’t the problem, check your task manager for any programs or browser tabs that limit your RAM or CPU usage. The most common reason for a game to hit 100% usage is to struggle with framerates and smooth gameplay other than graphics settings.
If you’re facing in-game crashes, you’ll want to first check out all the available fixes we mentioned above. Players have reported that random crashes or black screens can also be a problem with Windows Media files. You have to download them here and install them as instructed. Reboot your computer after installation and check if the problems subside. You can also try verifying your game’s files through Steam if some of your files aren’t installed properly.
Players are facing game-breaking issues related to its co-op mode right now and it is a known issue that the developers will fix. You can try to verify your game files with your firewall and antivirus and whitelist Wasteland 3. If they don’t fix the problem, your best bet is to wait for Steam’s next patch to hit.
game not saving
In that case the first thing that you want to do is to run the game as administrator and check if you can now save your game properly. If it’s not working, try to verify your game files and fix firewall whitelist.
Here is a list of all the issues that the developers have already fixed in the previous patches. If you haven’t done so already, be sure to download the latest patch before trying any other fixing method.
- Your selection reticle will get stuck while browsing your inventory if you choose a weapon that a character has equipped and then swap to a character that doesn’t have a weapon equipped in the same slot.
- The move/attack range outline for the Kodiaq doesn’t show up properly in the tank’s movement grid.
- Some menus and the action bar at the bottom of the screen can be selected.
- Selection boxes may appear offscreen, and UI selections may be doubled.
- The reputation of world map traders is always displayed as neutral when you talk with them regardless of their actual reputation. This is just a performance issue.
- The HIT chances for enemies are not showing up as often as it was intended.
- Guests cannot re-join the Co-op Lobby game after leaving.
- Sending a chat message will actually start the game when selecting a starting pair in co-op.
- The player options menu in the co-op lobby cannot be turned off unless you select something.
- In the console versions of the game, co-op guests who use the deployable to drag an enemy into battle will crash the game.
- Guests may be unable to equip pre-order bonus weapons if they are dropped and traded in a co-op session.
- Some of Kodiak’s weapons don’t do damage when you ambush enemies.
- Some Downtown Colorado Springs NPCs are shivering instead of carrying on their normal passive dialogue.
- If you aim the AoE in combat after you hit a target elsewhere, the enemy can remain the highlight.
- Enemies sometimes get caught in the running cycle when seeking cover.
InXile Entertainment is already addressing some of the most annoying known issues in Wasteland 3 like crashes and bugs right now. Most of them will be fixed in the coming days. If you still have issues after the next patch, you should try running all the usual repair methods mentioned above. Needless to say, you should keep your game updated to avoid any inconvenience and any technical issues.