Halo 3 is available on PC via Steam starting tomorrow, adding another title to Halo: The Master Chief Collection. In the past 24 hours, Halo 3 on Steam has been experiencing glitches and sudden crashes for players. We’ve gathered some known Halo 3 PC related issues to help you tackle any issues you may be facing.
Players run into problems when trying to log into Halo 3 on Steam. The Master Chief Collection inspires you to “let this app access your information”. If you press No, you will be stuck at this step without logging in or out again. You must delete any files in this directory to stop the loop:
You can also try disabling Steam Cloud Sync so that it doesn’t automatically add any information you don’t want when you log in.
unknown map files
If you’re getting an error saying that you have unknown map files, your best bet is to verify your game files and relaunch the game.
stutter in multiplayer
This is an issue that largely affects players and is most likely due to the number of players on the server at the moment. Developers will solve the problem if it is server related. If the problem doesn’t subside by then then you should try checking your connection, if you are using wifi now then connect via ethernet and reset your connection.
/Groundhog.dll crashes on startup
If you get an error that results in a crash when trying to launch Halo 3 on Steam, you’ll need to navigate through the game files. Find and delete the Groundhog.dll file. You will then need to re-verify your game files and launch Halo 3 once again.
If you’re not getting the Groundhog error and just having a crash, try running the game as an administrator first. If that doesn’t work, try disabling your firewall or anti-virus and verify the game files again. Another thing you need to check is whether your GPU drivers are fully updated.
Error 0xc000007b / ERROR KERNEL32.DLL
These are issues related to your Microsoft Visual C++ distributable files. You will have to reinstall them through the official website of Microsoft.
In addition to the above issues and crashes in Halo 3 on Steam, Halloweenpoint has posted a list of known issues that the team will be addressing soon. If you’re experiencing any of the following errors, you’ll need to wait for a hotfix:
- Available as a separate Chest option in “Security” customization and cannot be saved. To equip safety gear in gameplay, use the “Safety” helmet option
- Campaign terminals can only be navigated with the Page Up/Page Down keys (on PC mouse and keyboard only)
- Player symbols may appear incorrectly on the pause menu on Xbox One S devices
- Some keys cannot be forced when using a non-English keyboard
- Hosts and customers may notice inconsistent behavior when moving objects with different physics set in multiplayer forge sessions – all yellow bugs below.
- Will target friendly users when the auto-turret is placed in the forge.
- Navigating the Forge menu with the D-pad on the controller will toggle the axis rotation option
Halo 3 is hugely popular on Steam right now, with over 20,000 concurrent players, despite its crashes and bugs. All of them will be fixed in the next few days, depending if they are not tied to your hardware and OS. You can find more improvements for Halo: The Master Chief Collection here.