Keeping the classic strategy genre trending, Crusader Kings 3 is now available. Even though the release of the game was highly anticipated, there are some errors and crashes related to Crusader Kings 3 that are plaguing the players right now. We have compiled a list of issues that you might have faced and how to fix them.
Crusader Kings 3 crashes on startup
This is a common security issue for video games and can be easily fixed by running the game as administrator and whitelisting it from your anti-virus and firewall settings.
Crashes on startup are related to your GPU drivers being out of date. You should check your Nvidia or AMD GPU settings and see if you have any pending updates. Install them and then try to launch the game again.
Frequent in-game crashes are usually caused by too much stress on your CPU and RAM. Close any unwanted browser tabs and programs and see if stability improves.
Some players have also reported that disabling cloud saving on Steam has improved their performance. It’s worth trying.
Persistent stuttering and low FPS is a known issue in Crusader Kings 3 and the team is investigating the issue. You can give them a hint about your position on their forums for a while.
If you want to try to get rid of the problem by yourself, you can try playing with the graphics settings first. Most of the time, adjusting graphics settings to their lowest level is the best way to identify a problem. See which settings cause the problem and set them lower than normal.
Also, make sure that the low performance is not due to your hardware. An overheated GPU or CPU can cause problems that you may not immediately detect, but can cause real damage to your machine.
For what it’s worth, check back with the Paradox forums to find out when Crusader Kings 3 will have a clear fix for underperformance.
Save issue / Crash after saving
One of the most common causes of crashes and issues in Crusader Kings 3 right now is save games. Players report that the save doesn’t work and they often crash the game after the procedure. The first thing you want to do is to disable cloud save and try saving again. If it works and keep the settings like this to be able to play around with the Paradox patch. If this doesn’t work, then it could be caused by corrupted game files. Go into game settings and verify its game files to fix any problems with game files. The process may take some time but it has high chances of fixing your problem.
can’t start launcher error
This issue is thankfully the easiest solution of all the crash and error issues in Crusader Kings 3 right now. What you want to do is to uninstall and reinstall Paradox Launcher and run it once again. Most players report that this fix has worked for them. If it didn’t try running the launcher as administrator and whitelisting it from your anti-virus and firewall.
Here is a list of all known issues, as posted by the developers on Steam Discussions:
Problems that can be fixed by users
- [Compatibility][Win 8.1] Title on Win 8.1 fails to launch unless Windows Update is run. This problem is resolved by a player running Windows Update
- [Compatibility] Older drivers can zoom in/out to ‘lock’ the map and only zoom in/out on the coat of arms. This problem is solved by the player updating its drivers
- [Mac] Paradox Launcher not opening when playing with Steam on macOS Catalina. Verify your fame files to fix this problem (send crash files via our bug report)
issues under investigation
- [Plaza] [Linux] No Achievements Available on PDX Plaza on Linux
- [Engine] [Map Editor] [CTD] – Repacking hightmaps causes frequent crashes (affects modders)
- [Achievements] Saves are not compatible with any achievements that require players to start out as a specific character
- [Save Files] Changing the data in one of the save files will disable the load game functionality
- [Camera] If you have the controller plugged in the camera may go black and spin completely out of view
Paradox Development Studio is aware of the huge amount of issues present in the game right now and will likely fix most of them in one patch very soon. For the time being, be sure to report any problems you can’t solve yourself on their forums and help the team identify and fix any remaining problems.